Question:
Would obtaining an MBA be a good career path?
Monica
2010-07-24 19:39:03 UTC
Hello,

I am a college senior and I will graduate in December 2010. I am currently an MIS (Management Information Systems) major. This degree, at my school is basically computer science and business courses combined. Therefore, I learned programming and also many business aspects.

My initial plan is to work in a hospital setting with database management or somewhere around there. I would love to work with databases structures however I do not want to code for the rest of my life. I would rather help come up with the initial designs/needs of a system and have others implement it. However, I lack experience with health care courses, in my opinion.

I looked into many MBA programs and I have found a university which offers an MBA with a concentration in Health Care Administration. I feel that this would prepare me to take an adminstrative role in the health care world, and would give me a little push in the health care field that my undergrad degree did not.

I was just wondering if this is a good career plan? I have talked to many people in MBA programs about it to see if I am on the right track but they seem to offer me no advice, only discouraging words.

Thanks for your time!!
Six answers:
2010-07-27 02:58:35 UTC
Your plan seems very good. You should follow it and also go for an MBA, it will help you when you become a manager. For every manager MBA is considered a big plus. Good luck with your career!
snehal
2015-01-30 00:05:03 UTC
Yes indeed Obtaining MBA is indeed a good career path as it will open doors for various best career options

WHY MBA IS A GOOD CAREER PATH !

1)Whether you look forward to strengthening your ground in the area of entrepreneurship or have your goal well focused on escalating the corporate rung, it is important that you go for an MBA degree.

MBA degree will help you get an insight into the tricks &acumen necessary for competent handling of business and segments constituting it.

2)You may be wonderfully knowledgeable, but an MBA program relevant to your field of operation will help sharpen your managerial skills & soft skills necessary for man management.

reference:(http://www.managementparadise.com/forums/general-talks/276159-imporatnce-mba-future.html)
Prof
2010-07-28 08:22:40 UTC
Yes, you have planned a good career path. If you do what interests you, you will be successful and happy. Consult the Official MBA Guide. It's a comprehensive free public service with more than 2,000 MBA programs listed worldwide. It allows you to search for programs by location (US, Europe, Far East, etc.), by concentration (finance, marketing, aviation management, health management, accounting, etc.), by type of program (full-time, distance learning, part-time, executive, and accelerated), and by listing your own criteria and preferences to get a list of universities that satisfy your needs. Schools report their accreditation status, tuition cost, number of students, class sizes, program length, and a lot of other data. Schools provide data on entrance requirements, program costs, program characteristics, joint degrees, and much more. You can use the Guide to contact schools of your choice, examine their data, visit their web site, and send them pre applications. You can see lists of top 40 schools ranked by starting salaries of graduates, GMAT scores, and other criteria.
Bluekittie
2010-07-26 17:59:10 UTC
That is probably because of the economy. If you have found a program that mirrors your goals in life, I say take you have done your home work and have a working plan. Good luck in your studies.
Kiran
2016-04-17 10:19:32 UTC
double major- get an MBA in both
lezah
2010-07-24 19:40:28 UTC
While not a requirement, it could be a competitive edge. That depends on what the job market is like in your area of expertise.