Question:
Does Middle School Foreign Language Count?
o_osuperwomano_o
2007-03-06 14:50:15 UTC
So, I'm currently a freshman in high school and we are scheduling for next years classes. I'm debating whether I should go on with Spanish. I took Spanish 1 last year and 2 this year, but I do not know if Middle School Spanish counts towards your two-year requirement for college. My teacher said it does, but my mom seems certain that it doesn't. I absolutely hate Spanish, yet I am making an A in it. But, if I don't HAVE to take it then I'd gladly and readily quit.

I'm looking at going to the University of Illinois (but not for certainty), so does anyone know for at least that college if MS foreign language counts? Or just for other colleges too, because if most other colleges count it/don't count it then I'll probably have a good idea about what the U of I does.

Thanks in advance.

BTW: I'm looking to be a veterinarian, if that helps. =]
Three answers:
2007-03-06 15:10:15 UTC
i am pretty sure that middle school does not count, at least it wouldn't where i went. you should talk to an admissions rep at the university to find out for sure though.
2007-03-06 16:26:30 UTC
If you took Spanish 2 that means that you tested out of taking Spanish 1. If you only need two years then you have reached your requirement for a foreign language becuase you started at 2 in high school. Even though you took 1 in middle school, you are fine. For this, it doesnt matter when you took it, just that you took 2 years of a high school level foreign language.
Linda M
2007-03-06 14:56:09 UTC
It does count so you should take it again just so you can get better at it and also you will have more than 2 years of exploratory language. Also that would be better because you would have better experience so i say you should take Spanish again.